Monday, June 28, 2010

In Which I Break a Bed Which Had Survived 3 Generations Before Me Without Incident


One day I noticed that the side rail of my bed was only half-way down into the slot at the foot of the bed and, as usual, over-estimating my fix-it skills, I hammered on the problem until a weld came unwelded, and there I was. So I crawled around the thing, pondering what to do, and finally, not seeing any alternative, dragged some concrete blocks and bricks in from the tool shed, and propped the bed rail on them.

The next time I spoke on the phone with my daughter, I made an embarrassed and ashamed confession of what I'd done.

"You live in Tennessee," she said. "Of course your bed is up on blocks."

2 comments:

  1. And your daughter inherited your sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely take that as a compliment. (She's smarter and quicker than I am. And a whole heck of a lot more competent.)

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation about this posting.