Friday, June 18, 2010

Antiques


I inherited an antique picture from my grandparents, a formal landscape, beautiful golds and greens. For twenty years I had the picture hanging, and looking all wrong, in my informal kitchen nook. Then one day an elderly saleswoman came in and exclaimed that she'd grown up with that exact same print. Then she kind of smirked at me and said that her mother had bought it at Woolworth's five and dime. That got me pondering the nature of antiques, the nature of that picture, the nature of smirky old women, and the nature of my informal kitchen nook. After all that pondering, I gave the picture to my brother the college dean, without telling him that it came from a dime store, and now it looks perfectly elegant in his formal living room. I am still pondering this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation about this posting.